17 November 2004

No Side

Well the election is over. Bush won. I actually spent quite awhile thinking and working on a response which now I don't think I am going to use despite working on it a fair amount. Thus this will be less eloquent then what I had written so sorry about that. Maybe if I am motivated I will put that up sometime later (it is ensconed in my actual journal somewhere).
Anywho...
Bush won. It's not the end of the world. 59 million Americans are not stupid, not bigoted, not whatever. They voted what's right, that's democracy. Be glad we don't have another 2000 fiasco! And the seperation of church and state means that the church does not directly rule (ala Church of England and/or the Catholic church), the fact people vote along the lines of their religious beliefs probably just indicates they actually believe in their said faith! Pretty sure ol' TJ (Thomas Jefferson) said something along those lines back in his day.
Right, so those are my short comments on the whole mess. Randon and scattered cause I am writing this late over a game of Risk (which Filteau is screwing up!) These last 2.5 weeks are heavy with homework. Very heavy. I have nearly 30 pages worth of stuff to write!
I've also been trying to get out and do stuff with people outside of our group (ala the people I game with who are fun but can tell some tales of NHS) and with other folks as well ( :D ).
Now if I can just figure out about a place to live back home and Salt then life will be good. Oh I'd like the Wales trip to run Sunday too.
Politics and my life, what a weird post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beeker- i do agree that your personal beliefs should have some say in your vote, but i don't think that it is right to vote for someone simply because he claims to be pious in your particular religion. i once knew a pious man who later exposed himself in a park. he was my minister. i would rather people vote according to the values that they hold dear. personally, as a christian, going to war and killing the environment aren't values that i hold dear. truly religious people should consider the ideas of peace and harmony.(ya know, all of that forgivenes of sins stuff that they are always talking about) i did, so i voted for kerry. even more important, if a person is very religious, that person still needs to consider what is best for the country. not everyone in the world is religious and those people shouldn't be imposed upon by those who are. that's all i've got- laura

Beeks said...

Laura,
I think personal beliefs are what everyone votes on. It basically comes down to a personal belief that one canidate you'd prefer over another. The reasons for that whether agreed with or not shouldn't be questioned or insulted. Just because they are religous does not make them any less important. Just to discard those beliefs because they are religious basically argues that religious beliefs mean nothing at all and for people who do believe strongly in their faith is it right for us to tell them that voting along those lines (or how we perceive those lines) is wrong becuase we have a different opinion? I guess I don't believe so.
I see this as a democracy and will agree to disagree with many people, including many of my friends, but I will always fight to protect the system. My methods may be different, this vote certainly shows that while just about all Americans are thinking of America's future they differ on which direction America is going and how to guide it, but everyone is still in this (I hope) to make sure that our children and grandchildren have an America better then the one today.
And just as bad as having a tyranny of the majority where the minorities are abused is a tyranny of the minority where the majority is ignored so we have to find a balance in beliefs. Generally speaking neither side will be totally happy with such a balance and that balance changes slowly.

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire